As with all our repairs or upgrades in this 100+ year old house, we discovered that changing out a tub for a shower is not as easy as yank and replace.
Out came the tub, and we discovered this…….
yes, that is a gaping hole in the lower wall and floor…so that meant repair the floor and wall before shoving a shower into the space…..
which meant grabbing a saw and clearing out some rotten boards and sheet rock… It was really fascinating to see how houses were built back at the turn of the 20th century…batten boards over 2×4’s then plaster applied to create a complete wall…..we found bits of horsehair in the plaster..no real insulation except some old newspapers to speak of though. No wonder that wall was cold all winter! Frankly I am amazed we didn’t have more frozen pipes that what we had over the past few years.
We got all the detritus cleared out and started tearing out the rotten boards……and found two support beams had so much water damage to them they had to be replaced. The wall wasn’t even attached to the flooring anymore!
After we tore it all up, we removed some of the laminate tiles from the edges where the tub used to be and cut out the bad flooring. It wasn’t as awful as I had thought it would be. Only a 3 foot by 4 foot section of flooring and supports had to be fixed.
Once that was done, we pulled out the old sink and cabinet, swept it out and put the new cab in place.
I decided the wall between the old tub and the cabinet had to go…then decided to take out half of it and see how it would look with a partial wall….I liked it so will be putting sheet rock on the open side and finishing it off.
Once again we swept up all the destruction debris, but then I was too tired to even think about doing any more…
For such a little “remodel” this is turning into a HUGE job!
So, today, I am off to the builder’s supply to get some sheet rock, insulation, paint and floor leveling goop. Dunno what it is called actually, just know what it does………then back to the tiny room that has taken over my life!