will I complain about how long it takes (or how boring it is) waiting for plaster to dry!
The still too wet to paint plaster in the bathroom had me searching for something else I could be doing to hurry up the process of the remodel. (NO, I don’t have a lot of patience), and I really LOOKED at the above mirror lights that we inherited with this old house. There were a pretend “hollywood” fixture…you know, four oversized bulbs on a tacky mirrored surface.
I decided I disliked them immensely and they would get replaced….so I began to take them apart.
Most above mirror lighting is conveniently wired under drywall so you never have to think about it. this one had a VERY long cord with a toggle switch with which to turn it on…..all wiring going over the door frame to a wall socket on the opposite side of the room.
Since my grand mother had one exactly like it, it never occurred to me to check it out more thoroughly before this afternoon.
I took out the bulbs and threw them away…I would never use these things in a fixture so why not?
Then I started taking the fixture down…there were two cap nuts, one on each side to unscrew…then the top fell off……and was hanging by two wires. There should have been three! NO GROUND WIRE!
Then once I got the top off I discovered the base plate was OVER the wiring…..
Doesn’t that look professional? Don’t you just really want to hire the twit that installed this fixture? (yea, me neither)
Then after getting it all down I noticed copper wire showing through where the wire had been smashed under that bracket.
We all so danged LUCKY nothing caught fire. This house is so old it would have exploded, not just burned.
I showed the thing to George who looked at me and said “is that why I always smelled something burning when I turned it on?”
Well, YEA. I figure it probably was that…..
So, I suppose the moral to this little story is…if the wiring can be seen, you probably don’t want to turn on whatever that is………..get an electrician to check it out.